Choosing the right infrastructure for your business is not as simple as it sounds. There are many aspects such as global presence, performance, api, cost and of course unpredictable scalability to consider. So how do you choose?
What does your business need from global infrastructure?
- Global Presence is a must for many businesses. Therefore you need to look for robust infrastructure. Ensure it’s super secure and available when and where you need it. If an infrastructure provider cannot offer this then move on.
- Demand Mobility. Ensure the services are designed to scale as your business does. You need ‘just in time’ not ‘just in case’ capability via a highly extensible API. It’s no good setting something up that has to be completely overhauled within a short space of time. Planning in advance saves time, hassle and money.
- Agility. This is a foundation of contemporary business practice. Your platform needs to be on demand and designed to actively reduce your time to market. Nothing should hinder this process. Consumer patience is at an all time low, and humans now have reduced attention spans as a consequence of smartphone use. Goldfish can now hold a thought for longer. The average human attention span has plummeted from 12 seconds in 2000 to 8 seconds in 2016, so anything that delays gratification will cost you business.
- Performance should be high class 24/7. Demand a software-defined network. SLAs should be flexible enough to be tailored to your specific needs; no argument.
What obstacles might you encounter in achieving a global presence?
- Expense is the biggest concern
- Global needs are incredibly varied. Your clients are going to be diverse. Their expectations, needs and data use will vary considerably. You need to provide what they need as they need it: 24/7.
- You will need to keep on top of what your providers are offering depending on their location.
- You will have to manage the consistency of quality. It needs monitoring. So what are the key things you need to watch out for:
Each one of these can have considerable impact on your business.
Why are APIs important?
An API is your key. It unlocks the cloud and allows it to operate efficiently. Therefore you need to demand the following for your APIs:
- They are operating consistently across every location and also every product.
- Each one should be well documented.
- They should not cause you headaches and be simple to operate.
Go for API integration it will increase efficiency by allowing:
- Usage alerts and monitoring.
- Triggers to set up auto order servers and services.
- Billing integration to save time.
- Admin tasks automation such as console redirection, reboots etc.
Why you need an agile infrastructure to scale your business
Bear in mind change is a constant. Agility, flexibility and creativity are the three pillars of contemporary business and this should underpin your decision making.
The last thing you need is an inflexible on-premises platform. But first of all, you need to be flexible in your thinking and business planning. Every business needs a custom solution and therefore every application has different needs. Be prepared to talk through your potential needs and seek advice from experienced providers.
Think ahead and predict what your needs are going to be tomorrow. It will save you money and time in the long term.
What performance indicators will help choose the right global infrastructure solution?
Transit is a key indicator.
Check the following:
- Which transit providers will be used?
- How many will there be in operation?
- Verify redundancy where appropriate
- Consolidate the capacity
This is key to successful business in 2016 and beyond. Every business is a potential victim of cybercrime. Ensure you protect your business: the cost of an attack might be incalculable.
Protect, don’t forget and hope for the best.
- 32% of all DDOS attacks in the 4th quarter of 2015 were IT Services (Cloud/SaaS)
- Volumetric attacks are still dominating therefore each location should have a mitigation strategy per location.
Ensure network optimization is top of your agenda
- Latency is the number one killer when it comes to client experience. The ultimate aim is to eliminate it as far as possible.
- Internet performance needs to be taken into account
- Consider dynamic route organization to maximize consistent Quality of Experience, or QoE
- Ask how many optimizations your provider makes.
- Bandwidth won’t get you out of trouble in every scenario. Ensure latency and packet loss aren’t causing problems.
If you are looking for a reliable global infrastructure provider for your business, then why not chat with us at 100TB?
We can provide a number of solutions to solve your global business obstacles. Set up a call now, we’d be happy to assist your plans for worldwide business domination in your niche.