You often hear the words ‘backup’ and ‘disaster recovery’ used together. However, recovering data is not the only reason why backups are important to your web hosting and data storage. Today we will take a look at backup solutions and why they are important for much more than replacing lost data.
What is a backup solution?
Data backup solutions are the creation and storage of data in either the same or a different location. Copies of your stored data can then be used to restore data to an original server, recover after a data breach, or to complete a move to a new data center location. Backup solutions store copies of your data in a new system, location, or medium. A saved file on your existing server does not count as a true data backup.
For example, 100TB offers backup solutions in four different geographical locations: Salt Lake City, Phoenix, New York City, and London. We use R1Soft as our preferred method of backup solutions to store copies of your data at the frequency and size of your choice.
Traditional approaches to backup management include streaming or application-based backup. Data is pushed from your host server to your backup, and the backup agent ensures that you have a secure connection. Data is then ingested and optimized before being written to your backup system. Optimization includes indexing by file or directory, compression and deduplication measures, and data encryption to keep data secure.
How do data backups work?
When you employ a backup solution, your data is transferred by block. Block level bypasses the file system and pulls data from the volume or disk, meaning that data is transferred faster and with less disk usage. Minimizing the system resources used means that you can push backups as often as you need without a noticeably increased load.
The benefits of having a backup solution:
- Consolidated backup and recovery from a variety of systems with one single backup interface.
- Reduce data footprint with compressed and deduplicated data.
- Metadata management on a per file, directory, or recovery point basis.
- Application integration.
- Efficient backup management and restoration.
- Protection against data loss, data corruption, and disaster recovery.
Why are backup solutions important?
Without getting into harrowing statistics of malware, ransomware, and other terrifying disasters, data backups are basically good business practice. Yes, they are helpful when your system needs a complete recovery. However, they are also important for basic data management, optimization, and integration.
Backup solution recommendations apply to organizations of all sizes, from small business to large enterprise. How often you back up your data is completely up to you. However, best practice states to create backups your data as often as it is altered. For example, if you make changes to your data on a weekly basis, then a weekly backup is fine. If you add additional data on a minute-by-minute interval, then you might want to back up more often. Remember that once you have created a full data backup, you will only need to resave the data that has been altered since your last backup.
How do I add a backup solution to my 100TB account?
100TB now allows you to create your own backup solution from within your Console dashboard. You can quickly and easily customize backups without a ticket, call, or chat. To add a backup to your Console account, follow the steps below:
- Log into Console with your username and password.
- Navigate to the Dedicated Servers tab.
- Next, click on the server you want to add a backup solution to.
- Click Configure Backup Protection and choose the amount of storage quote you would like to purchase.
- Once you have chosen your backup specifications, click Buy Now and enter the root credentials for your server. Note: Please contact technical support if you do not have access to your root credentials.
- Click Purchase and Deploy to finalize your backup solution.
- Once the agent is installed, you will be presented with a scheduling screen to help you choose specific aspects of your backup schedule.
For more information on getting started with your backup solution. Please see our knowledgebase articles. As always, if you have any questions about this process or any other hosting related concern, please contact our expert technical support team. They will be happy to assist you.